NCAA Football 2007-2008

Started by AngryEwok, Aug 26, 2007, 11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacket Fanatic

TEO

go ball state! Yeah right, just don't kick them in the balls MJ! ;)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Angry Ewok

Okay, okay... I'll admit that it may seem as though I'm going cheap on USC by not even giving them #2 over Florida... but hear me out. I honestly see Florida as the better team, when compared to USC. First of all, Florida got the shaft in the pre-season rankings, and should have been ranked #1 to begin with. I'm of the old school, I believe the defending champ should be defending champ from the #1 spot no matter what. Secondly, I think there are only two teams capable of beating LSU in the SEC, and Florida is one of them.

Wanna guess who the other team is? I'll give you a hint... there's one coach out there who knows the LSU playbook better than anyone else. And it's not because he once worked for Bill Belicheat.

My top 5 right now, by the way...

#1 LSU
#2 Florida
#3 USC
#4 Oklahoma
#5 Notre Dame (?)

Now, about Alabama... I think after this weekend, folks may start to see some substance in the whispers of the Tide being the Dark Horse for the National Title. You can scoff, that's fine. I know it won't happen this year, but very, very soon, the sort of dominance you see in LSU will be mirrored at the University of Alabama.

Take a look at the slobberknocker that was that Arkansas game... we're essentially looking at an even more undermanned team than the one that went 6-7 last season, that is now beating the door down on it's way into the AP Top 15 within THREE games. That's a huge indication that this program has righted its course and the polls recognize that, however reluctantly. Honestly, I think our defense is looking alot like the one we had in '92...

But... Will the Tide go undefeated? Not a chance. We're an 8-4 team with not a single defensive player to spare, and we just happen to be standing in LSU's way to the ring... One major advantage that may miraculously tilt everything askew and produce an upset, though, is that most of our tough games are at home, and Bryant-Denny Stadium has never, ever been as loud as it was last weekend.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see USC and Oklahoma disappear from the top 5 very, very soon. Also, keep your eyes on Steve Spurrier and the way he attacks LSU. If there is one coach capable of illustrating a team's weakness... The Coach is the one to do it. He can't win this one, not in the Valley, but I guarantee you that everyone will be watching to see if the Coach can find something of an attack angle.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

primushead

You're kidding about Notre Dame being number 5 right?  

aMD

QuoteYou're kidding about Notre Dame being number 5 right?  

you better say yes, or you've lost all credibility.

Go Buckeyes!!!  

Big Ten still rules!  Everyone knows that Michigan sucks! (okay I'm half-joking)

The DARK

QuoteYou're kidding about Notre Dame being number 5 right?  

you better say yes, or you've lost all credibility.

Go Buckeyes!!!  

Big Ten still rules!  Everyone knows that Michigan sucks! (okay I'm half-joking)

No, you're not joking at all  ;)
In another time, in another place, in another face

Angry Ewok

Yes, I was being sarcastic about Notre Dame being #5 in the nation. But would it really surprise anyone if they were ranked at the end of this weekend (win or lose, really)? We're talking about Notre Shame, here, people...  

As a Bammer, I am of course obligated to go to my grave with the meanest disposition towards Notre Dame for it's having stolen what was rightfully Bear Bryant's. I speak, of course, of the 1966 National Title. I would wager, even, that most Crimson Tide fans feel a stronger "hate" towards Notre Dame than we do for the barners down there in Aubarn. We don't exactly have to worry about them stealing titles from us.

"At Alabama, we teach our men to win. When you're number one, you don't play for the tie."

"I don't know, we haven't played Alabama yet," Vince Lombardi, after being asked what it felt like to be the greatest football team in the world just after winning the '66 Super Bowl.

EAZYE

OU isn't going anywhere soon Angry!  Alabama will be out of the top 25 before we are out of the top 5 buddy ;)  Our schedule suits us so much better.  Texas is way down this year ;D and our offense is looking unSTOOPSable.  I do think Saban will turn your program around just not this year ;)
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

EAZYE

That being said if LSU runs the table in the SEC the national title is theirs hands down!  Noone will beat them in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans.  Their fans are ridiculous down there.
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

The DARK

QuoteI think USC has to be the most legit football program in the country...

Does anyone think they'll go undefeated this season?  It's looking that way right now.  And, I know, they haven't really had that crucial game against a worthy foe yet (although #14 Nebraska was very good) and I know I'll probably get a response like, "Man, if they played LSU, they would STOMP those bastards".  But get real.  USC looks like a dominating power again and I'm taking them to win the national championship.  Alabama will be playing them for it of course ;)

I think they're kinda overrated this year. Sure they've got experience and depth at just about all the positions, but who are the real standout players? Is there anything that really makes them that much better than last year? And is there anyone else really worthy in that confrence? Sure UCLA and Cal are alright, and Oregon seems pretty good, but there's no one challenging them in the Pac-10.

Florida and LSU, on the other hand, look like genuine title contenders. But Spurrier will take them down.  ;)
In another time, in another place, in another face

corey

I'm gonna go with LSU for the title. I'm tired of people shittin' on the SEC. It's our year, bitches.

corey

Angry Ewok

Let me tell you, man... when he came down with that ball, I went INSANE. The entire stadium was on it's feet, standing on the chairs... it was total pandemonium. I believe that got the ESPN Game-changing performance scholarship money.

brkndwnbus

If PSU plays Michigan today like it's 1980, I will throw up. But I already have a bucket at my side this morning because all PSU fans know the way this game will be played, just hopefully the D steps up and gets the win...like usual on the road cause god forbid, we let Bell, Butler or Quarless open up the passing game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or let Williams return all punt returns, or not have him line up in the back field and think that really fools anyone when he gets the ball every time he is back there, or that we won't call 5-15 swing/bubble passes that EVERYONE knows is coming and watch Mich take them back for a pick 6...but that's the way it is...

I just needed to vent before I get angry watching the game. At least I had tickets on the 30 yd line for when they crushed Notre Dame...I couldn't have more hatred for a college than ND, so that will likely by the highlight of the season.

TEO

I can't believe Ball State came so close!

TEO

The oldest collegiate stadium in the country (since 1903) will be lit tonight for the very first time! The guys at Harvard finally got the switch figured out.   ;)

mjkoehler

QuoteI can't believe Ball State came so close!
I was taking Nitro pills today. gawd

aMD

U of L lost to Syracuse!??! WTF?

So long top 25.

TEO

What a day! MIZZOU 4-0, Notre Dame 0-4, Harvard lit for first time, there was a dogpile, and SEC is still the best!

TEO

AND, the faked field goal with the flea flicker over the shoulder by the LSU holder that was run in for a touchdown!