NCAA Football 2007-2008

Started by AngryEwok, Aug 26, 2007, 11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

So, am I correct in stating that none of you give Missouri or Kansas a chance at beating Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship game?  Don't get me wrong, I totally understand you feeling that way if that is the case.  I just want to get a feel for what the rest of the world believes since I am obviously biased.  

Just remember, KU has not lost yet, and MU's only loss has come against #3 Oklahoma, on the road, with their #1 running back on the sideline with an injury.

Either way, I am even more confident now that one way or another, a Big 12 team is going to be in the championship game.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

EAZYE

yes you are correct BH but i also am little biased

GO BIG 12!
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

Taterbug

My Illini pulled it out. who'd a thunk it.  TAKE THAT the now # 7 buckeyes .

Can someone from Indiana explain to me what a Hoosier is ?
Also is it possible for my 2 favorite teams to play in a bowl game UK vs Ill. ?
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

ycartrob

QuoteSo, am I correct in stating that none of you give Missouri or Kansas a chance at beating Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship game?  Don't get me wrong, I totally understand you feeling that way if that is the case.  I just want to get a feel for what the rest of the world believes since I am obviously biased.  

Just remember, KU has not lost yet, and MU's only loss has come against #3 Oklahoma, on the road, with their #1 running back on the sideline with an injury.

Either way, I am even more confident now that one way or another, a Big 12 team is going to be in the championship game.

I have seen all 3 play and I can say all 3 are legit. Oklahoma is Oklahoma, so people will lean towards them automatically. All 3 have a shot, but I am secretly rooting for Missouri  ;) (even though Kansas is a great Cinderella story). No Sooner fan here.

Not really fair that the Pac 10 doesn't have a championship game, but, the whole BCS Championship game format is a sham anyways.

mjkoehler

I'm goin with whoever wins between KU and MO (GO KU!!!!) to be in the Championship Bowl.

I just cannot bring myself to root for Mizzou or the Sooners (especially OK)...except if they are playing Notre Dame, TX, or CO.

Who would have ever though that Kansas and/or Missouri would be fighting it out for the Big 12 Championship and possible going to the BCS Bowl.

ycartrob

Who would have ever though that Kansas and/or Missouri would be fighting it out for the Big 12 Championship and possible going to the BCS Bowl.

I actually predicted it back on page 1 (back on August 26th). No biggie, I happen to know a lot about college football.

mjkoehler

I actually predicted it back on page 1 (back on August 26th). No biggie, I happen to know a lot about college football.
I vaguly remember somthing like that. I just thought you were crazy then. Kansas, come on. Kansas! They were the whipping boy of the Big 8/12 for almost my entire life.

BH

Quote(GO KU!!!!)

I thought we were friends.

;)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

Quote'tis one of my favorite times of the year, with the promise of cooler weather and all...

I have a couple of predictions for the season:

The suprise team will be Kansas and I can't say for sure, but they will probably be undefeated going into November. (yes, Kansas!) Mizzou will also be strong and will probably have 1 loss going into November. (my crystal ball is a little fuzzy, it only goes to the first week of November). Cal will not be as strong as people think, and will lose 3 or 4. Ohio St will have their usual bogus #1 ranking until they meet Illini. Oregon will have 1 loss (probably to Cal) and LSU will have 1 loss, that coming at the hands of Kentucky! (yes, Kentucky, probably in OT). Couple of other suprise teams early, but will fade: University South Florida, Boston College, South Carolina, Kentucky, Arizona St.

That's what I am seeing right now...

;D (with tears)

bowl of soup

Quote'tis one of my favorite times of the year, with the promise of cooler weather and all...

I have a couple of predictions for the season:

The suprise team will be Kansas and I can't say for sure, but they will probably be undefeated going into November. (yes, Kansas!) Mizzou will also be strong and will probably have 1 loss going into November. (my crystal ball is a little fuzzy, it only goes to the first week of November). Cal will not be as strong as people think, and will lose 3 or 4. Ohio St will have their usual bogus #1 ranking until they meet Illini. Oregon will have 1 loss (probably to Cal) and LSU will have 1 loss, that coming at the hands of Kentucky! (yes, Kentucky, probably in OT). Couple of other suprise teams early, but will fade: University South Florida, Boston College, South Carolina, Kentucky, Arizona St.

That's what I am seeing right now...

;D (with tears)

I also love the edit feature.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

mjkoehler

Quote(GO KU!!!!)

I thought we were friends.

;)
HA! Except when it comes to the Tigers. After living in the Lou for almost 10 years, Mizzou Football is the only thing I haven't been converted to (and never will).

Angry Ewok

I've been pretty good with my picks, this year.

My biggest miss was thinking USC would make it to the title game. I obviously bought into the hype on these guys, because I was hoping they'd make it all the way only to be exposed by a quality SEC team (see also: "THE" Ohio State).

My biggest hit was when I said Notre Dame would lose it's first eight games. I was just being a smartass because there was a Fighting Irish fan in the house... but I guess I nailed that one.

My preseason predictions for the Crimson Tide were absolutely correct until MSU humiliated us. Ugh... I still might hit my 8-4 prediction, but that would require us beating Auburn (I don't see that happening). I'd love to be wrong about the Iron Bowl, and be right about the 8-4 final. If we beat Auburn, we'll beat whoever we play in a bowl game - doesn't matter who it is.

I'm really liking Georgia over LSU, right now... but it seems like the Vols might be able to rob the Bulldogs of the SEC East. I'll predict this... If the Vols make it to the SEC Championship game, they'll be humiliated by LSU. If Georgia makes it, LSU will be stopped dead in it's tracks.

Wanna get real nuts? I say LSU, Georgia, and Florida... are better than Oregon, Oklahoma, and Kansas. Hopefully the BCS will let us see those matchups in some order.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

ycartrob

Wanna get real nuts? I say LSU, Georgia, and Florida... are better than Oregon, Oklahoma, and Kansas. Hopefully the BCS will let us see those matchups in some order.

no way in hell Georgia or Florida are top 5 teams. That's just silly. You really need to re-think this SEC dominace thing, we have done terrible playing other BCS conferences this year. That's a fact.

I'd love to see the SEC kick the shit out of every BCS team (except Auburn) but it just doesn't look so great this year.

EAZYE

I'll agree with LSU but Georgia and Florida, come on Angry :-/
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

Angry Ewok

Yeah, yeah. Just trying to stir that SEC pot a little bit...

;D

Seriously, though... When the bowl games are announced, I'm totally game for some friendly forum wavers. I'm not so serious about Florida, and I agree they aren't a Top 5, but I think Georgia is pretty hot right now. Close to Top 5.

BH

Brad, I have a question for you since you obviously spend a lot of time watching the SEC this year.  Does Arkansas have a chance at beating LSU at LSU in two weeks?  Will Georgia be the team playing LSU in the championship?  Do they have a chance to beat them on a nuetral field?

The reason I am asking is that I just realized, in the event (I know it's a longshot) that MU actually makes it to the championship game, that it's being played in New Orleans.  I certainly would rather play Oregon in New Orleans than LSU.  I mean holy crap that would be one hostile environment for what is supposed to be a "neutral" site, eh?

mjkoehler

QuoteBrad, I have a question for you since you obviously spend a lot of time watching the SEC this year.  Does Arkansas have a chance at beating LSU at LSU in two weeks?  Will Georgia be the team playing LSU in the championship?  Do they have a chance to beat them on a nuetral field?

The reason I am asking is that I just realized, in the event (I know it's a longshot) that MU actually makes it to the championship game, that it's being played in New Orleans.  I certainly would rather play Oregon in New Orleans than LSU.  I mean holy crap that would be one hostile environment for what is supposed to be a "neutral" site, eh?

Having seen NU play LSU in New Orleans, it is a ruckus time. It's playing going to the Orange Bowl to find out you have to play the Hurricanes.

Angry Ewok

QuoteDoes Arkansas have a chance at beating LSU at LSU in two weeks?

No, but never say never, right? Even in a year of ridiculous outcomes, I just don't see it happening under any circumstances at all. LSU outclasses Arkansas in every single category, and even when they try their damnedest to throw a game - they just can't help but win. Not only that, but they'll beat you twice.

The coaching will be very interesting to watch, because neither head coach is deserving of the team he's operating... Coach Nut is finished and Les Miles will be once he runs out of Nick Saban's recruits, or heads out to Michigan. Nut may have a tad more motivation to out-coach Les Miles, which isn't too hard, since he'll need something to tack onto his resume at the end of the season, but the fact is that Les Miles' second crutch (besides the amazing talent on the field), is that he has exceptional coordinators.

Houston Nut has no stock whatsoever and you will see exactly why.

Darren McFadden will be lucky to leave Louisiana in stable condition - I'm saying he'll get no more than 100 yards rushing on LSU, and he'll likely get injured in the process. That poor guy has had a bullseye on his number the entire season, because the hogs don't have a passing game to threaten with a spread and every defense in the SEC knows it.

McFadden will run the ball for the majority, and he'll probably take a few snaps once Nut gets desperate to open the field against the run block. The rest of the hogs offensive will be spent giving LSU interceptions.

Another prediction... Watch for Darren McFadden to get sacked into next week. While he has an amazing stiff arm when he's taking the ball upfield - when he takes a snap as a QB, he always seems to step into a classic quarterback stance and state of mind. He dives and slides like a quarterback if he feels pressure. I've seen it numerous times, a couple of times in person. It will blow your mind.

I'm never too hot at picking scores, but I could see LSU putting up 40-ish... and Arkansas left in the teens.

QuoteWill Georgia be the team playing LSU in the championship?  Do they have a chance to beat them on a nuetral field?

I don't know if they will be, but they should be. The only reason they aren't the sure bet is because the Vols spanked them hard... if there is a tie between the two, UT will obviously win the verses and represent the East. It'll be a travesty, but this is the year of travesties.  

If Tennessee goes to Atlanta for the Championship... they'll be smoked.

If Georgia meets LSU in the Championship... Put some cash on the Bulldogs for the upset.

QuoteI certainly would rather play Oregon in New Orleans than LSU.  I mean holy crap that would be one hostile environment for what is supposed to be a "neutral" site, eh?

Trust me, it doesn't matter who is in the title game. In fact, it'd be worse if LSU was bumped off. When I say LSU fans will be sure to make anyone and everyone in their presence absolutely miserable, it comes from rather fresh experience.

BH

Very nice Brad!  Thanks.  So Georgia is my best bet then.....

ycartrob

LSU outclasses Arkansas in every single category

not hardly. Again, the facts:

Arkansas leads the SEC in rushing (297 a game compared to LSU at 220).
Arkansas also leads LSU in avg. KO return yards ( 22 vs 18)
Arkansas leads LSU in punt returns by a yard
Arkansas' red zone defense is 5th in SEC comapred to LSU's last
Arkansas has converted more 3rd downs than LSU
Arkansas is ranked 1 in defending 3rd down; LSU is 3rd
Arkansas has given up 10 sacks and LSU has given up 24
LSU has been penalized 30 more times than Arkansas
LSU and Arkansas are virtually tied for lead in total offense in SEC (455.3 vs 454.7)
Arkansas is behind LSU in Pass Defense Efficiency by .5 points

not really outclassed in every single category at all