NCAA Football 2007-2008

Started by AngryEwok, Aug 26, 2007, 11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

primushead

I've heard from a reliable source that Temple will get a BCS Championship bid.

The DARK

LSU v OSU in the national championship. I really can't argue with that.

But how does your team get in a bowl game over ours, Ewok? Isn't there some unwritten law that says that any team that loses to Louisiana-Monroe doesn't deserve a bowl bid? Though admittedly, a 5-game losing streak doesn't exactly help our cause.  ;)
In another time, in another place, in another face

ycartrob

My Dream BCS 8 Team Playoff:

ROUND 1
#1 Ohio St.-27  #8 Kansas-10
#7 USC-38  #2 LSU-20
#3 Va Tech-20  #6 Mizzou-19
#4 Oklahoma-35 vs. #5 Georgia-24

SEMI FINALS
Oklahoma-23  Ohio St.-13
USC-34   Va Tech-6

BCS TITLE GAME
USC-28  Oklahoma-16

a tad bit more exciting than the 1 game format...

TEO

Congratulations to OU and all of your fans! You played a helluva' game and deserve the Big 12 Championship.
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

EAZYE

TEO your tigers played well, congratulations on your fine season as well, don't think you guys should've been screwed out of the BCS :-/

MJ what are your thoughts on the Bo Pelini hire?  I know you were leaning more toward Turner Gill.
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

BH

Well, I've been kind of speechless since Saturday.  I don't even know what to say.  I can't believe that our offense played that bad (or got outplayed that bad.)  All credit goes to OU.  They beat us at the line of scrimmage the entire game.

I must say, I think it's complete bullshit on countless levels that we got screwed out of a BCS bowl.  I could site a hundred reasons why it's bullshit but I won't bore you with it.  Just know it sucks.

Can any other team say they played 4 games against BCS Bowl teams?  I doubt it.  And we won two of them.  

West Virginia loses to Pitt and they still get a BCS game?!?!?  Sorry, I'll get over it.  

It was still a special year for us that I will never forget......
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Angry Ewok

QuoteBut how does your team get in a bowl game over ours, Ewok?

Because Alabama is a big name with a big fanbase that travels well, and spends lots and lots of big money. These bowl games rarely have anything to do with the actual sport.

QuoteCan any other team say they played 4 games against BCS Bowl teams? I doubt it. And we won two of them.

Who cares how many BCS teams you've played if you can only beat half of them? I understand your point and your pain, but sorry, dude, hitting 50% against the meat of the ranked schedule isn't good enough for the voters. Missouri faced five Top 25 teams in it's schedule, going 3-2. Kudos to them for actually coming up against some stiff competition... but like Ohio State shows us year after year, easy wins against a few bottom-20's is better (to the pollsters) than a mixed bag of hard-foughts against a half-dozen Top 10 caliber teams.

LSU has faced seven Top 25 teams in it's schedule, going 6-1. They earned their #1 ranking... #2 is a toss-up, to me.

My picks in bold/italic...

Alabama v. Colorado
Mississippi State v. UCF
Texas A&M v. Penn. State
Kentucky v. Florida State
Auburn v. Clemson
Tennessee v. Wisconsin
Missouri v. Arkansas
Florida v. Michigan
USC v. Illinois
Georgia v. Hawaai
Oklahoma v. West Virginia
Virginia Tech v. Kansas
LSU v. THE!!111one Ohio State

Of all of the bowl games, the Georgia v. Hawaai seems the most intriguing to me. There've been a lot of folks critical of the Rainbow Warrior's weak schedule, and I think the Bulldogs will end up proving the critics right.

I cannot wait to see Florida murder Michigan. I mean, what the fuck is Michigan doing facing Florida, anyway?

Hopefully Oklahoma delivers a point, as well...

Last but not least... Just like last year, Bucks get 7 or 8 weeks of rest after a weak schedule, and then an SEC team comes out of the conference championship to expose them.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

BH

Hey, all I'm saying is if we were a big name school, our resume would have guaranteed a BCS game.   We are ranked 6th in the BCS!  Ten teams get BCS bowls.  We beat Illinois and Kansas!

I am definatley interested in how the conferences do as a whole.  I certainly won't make any predictions this year, but it will be interesting.  

On a seperate note, will LSU have it's QB back for the bowl game?  I've havent read anything about it.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Angry Ewok

QuoteOn a seperate note, will LSU have it's QB back for the bowl game?  I've havent read anything about it.

Flynn and Dorsey are both pretty badly battered, but hopefully for LSU's sake, they'll be back.

Bam_Bam

QuoteBut how does your team get in a bowl game over ours, Ewok?

Because Alabama is a big name with a big fanbase that travels well, and spends lots and lots of big money. These bowl games rarely have anything to do with the actual sport.

QuoteCan any other team say they played 4 games against BCS Bowl teams? I doubt it. And we won two of them.

Who cares how many BCS teams you've played if you can only beat half of them? I understand your point and your pain, but sorry, dude, hitting 50% against the meat of the ranked schedule isn't good enough for the voters. Missouri faced five Top 25 teams in it's schedule, going 3-2. Kudos to them for actually coming up against some stiff competition... but like Ohio State shows us year after year, easy wins against a few bottom-20's is better (to the pollsters) than a mixed bag of hard-foughts against a half-dozen Top 10 caliber teams.

LSU has faced seven Top 25 teams in it's schedule, going 6-1. They earned their #1 ranking... #2 is a toss-up, to me.

Alabama v. Colorado
Mississippi State v. UCF
Texas A&M v. Penn. State
Auburn v. Clemson
Tennessee v. Wisconsin
Missouri v. Arkansas
Florida v. Michigan
USC v. Illinois
Georgia v. Hawaai
Virginia Tech v. Kansas

Of all of the bowl games, the Georgia v. Hawaai seems the most intriguing to me. There've been a lot of folks critical of the Rainbow Warrior's weak schedule, and I think the Bulldogs will end up proving the critics right.

I cannot wait to see Florida murder Michigan. I mean, what the fuck is Michigan doing facing Florida, anyway?

Last but not least... Just like last year, Bucks get 7 or 8 weeks of rest after a weak schedule, and then an SEC team comes out of the conference championship to expose them.

Because Florida lost 3 games and didn't even finish second in their conference...because Michigan travels better than most teams in the country...don't count us out so quickly...with Henne and Hart back at 100% we could give the Gators a run for their money...do i think it's gonna happen...no...but i think we have a helluva chance at winning this game and i'd f*cking love to see it. My hate for the SEC has no boundaries...nothing against you though just the colleges...you know how it is.
[url="//www.myspace.com/wearemurals"]www.myspace.com/wearemurals[/url]

aMD

Alabama v. Colorado
Mississippi State v. UCF
Texas A&M v. Penn. State
Auburn v. Clemson
Tennessee v. Wisconsin
Missouri v. Arkansas
Florida v. Michigan
USC v. Illinois
Georgia v. Hawaai
Virginia Tech v. Kansas

Wow. You picked all SEC teams.  what a coincidence.  oh wait, no it's not.  i forgot that it's impossible for you to be objective at all even for a moment.  (it's hard to take you seriously, dude).

I think it's bullshit that Kansas got a BCS bid and Missou didn't.  The only ranked opponent Kansas played all year was MISSOU and they kicked their asses.  And how does Georgia not get in?  And why was Hawaii not even in the discussion?  I think this year fans are starting to get actively pissed that there is no playoff system.  Hopefully they do something about it soon. and this a coming from a guy who's team got into the national championship game through the bullshit BCS system.

Go Buckeyes!  Time to get some revenge on the SEC!  Oh yeah!

EDIT: I'm sorry, you did pick MISSOU over Arkansas.  Bold choice.  I wouldn't let any other ignorant SEC fans see that pick!

ycartrob

My hate for the SEC has no boundaries...nothing against you though just the colleges...you know how it is.

Actually no, I don't know how it is. Can you explain how you hate an entire conference?

(and I take it you're a Michigan student/grad?)

megisnotreal

what is with all the SEC hate, people? i know j.p.w. is good looking, but y'all don't have to hate so hard.  ;)

i chose a pic with saban just for you, soup.  :-*

ycartrob

LSU's Dorsey beats out Ohio State's Laurinaitis for trophy

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3140499

aMD

QuoteLSU's Dorsey beats out Ohio State's Laurinaitis for trophy

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3140499

Laurinaitis had 105 tackles and 5 sacks, Dorsey had 64 tackles and 6 sacks, I don't get it.  I guess they didn't want to give it to him two years in a row.

Like the year AJ Hawk got overlooked for Poslowski and he himself said AJ deserve the award.  They don't like to give individual trophies to buckeyes for some reason, at least not two years in a row (archie griffin notwithstanding, of course).  

This is going to be for some real bragging rights, Tracy.  I hope you're guys are up for it.  Now, remind me, did you go to LSU or are you just a bandwagon fan?

ycartrob

This is going to be for some real bragging rights, Tracy.  I hope you're guys are up for it.  Now, remind me, did you go to LSU or are you just a bandwagon fan?

Well, using your logic, I'm an LSU fan b/c I was born in Louisiana; my Cajun roots are sound (but of course I looked over Tulane, and LA-Monroe, etc... all those second rate schools and went straight to LSU!).

Using my logic, I'm an SEC man seeing how I graduated from Ole Miss and U Tennessee masters program (me and the rest of my family all went to SEC schools), my sister and brother-in-law went to LSU, I have cousins in Baton Rogue that are season ticket holders, I had a Brad Davis actual game jersey when I was 9 (see pic below),(even though LSU cheated to beat Ole Miss at Death Valley in 1972 when #6 LSU survived an upset bid from unranked Ole Miss in Tiger Stadium by winning the game on a TD pass from QB Bert Jones to RB Brad Davis. Ole Miss fans say the 1972 contest featured a few seconds of free football. The Tigers trailed the Rebels 16-10 with four seconds to play. After a lengthy incompletion by Jones, the game clock still showed one second remaining. The Tigers used the precious second to win the game on the "last play," 17-16. The home-clock advantage inspired a sign at the Louisiana state line reading, "You are now entering Louisiana. Set your clocks back four seconds." (we listend to it on the radio)).

Plus, it's just 1 game that I am pulling for LSU; I pull for all SEC teams in bowl games. That's what you do when you went to an SEC school, you pull for the SEC out of conference. Isn't that what they do in the Big 10? Was that your experience at Ohio St? Oh, never mind...

As far as bragging rights go, I'll leave that to the Ohio State students and alumni (and hell, even the employees!) Trust me, when it's YOUR SCHOOL it's different. And unfortunantely, Ohio State isn't your school; it's someone else's school. I can guarantee you that LSU students and alumni (and employees) have far more invested in this game than me, that's the reality. Win or lose, they'll feel it more than me.
~sorry  :-/

bowl of soup

i chose a pic with saban just for you, soup.  :-*

Where's Nick's stupid hat?  Are they laughing about that loss to UL-Monroe?  This year sucks, there are no correct answers, and there will be no playoffs any time soon.  CFB will continue to be the only major American sport decided by a vote versus actual play - that sucks.  Even us Floridians know that and we love to manipulate things supposedly decided by a vote.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

ycartrob

This year sucks, there are no correct answers, and there will be no playoffs any time soon.  CFB will continue to be the only major American sport decided by a vote versus actual play - that sucks.

Word on the street is even if Ohio State upsets LSU (yes, #1 is a 5 point dog to #2, which pretty much sums up the whole season) the majority of college football fans will still be unsatisfied. It will be a little bit better if LSU wins, considering they actually played other teams, but, the parity in college football is apparent and more teams are able to pull off the upset on any given Saturday (just ask Michigan, Auburn, USC, Alabama, and WV). A playoff would be nice...

When Villanova won the NCAA basketball tourney in 1985 (as an 8th seed), they weren't "the best team in the field" at the start, however, they were given the chance to settle it on the court, where they proceeded to beat #1 seed Michigan, #5 seed Maryland, #2 seed N.C., #2 seed Memphis St, and #1 seed Georgetown, so they get crowned champs.

I don't think a 1 game upset of an overrated LSU team proves much.

Angry Ewok

Leave it to a Buckeyes fan, after having spent the entire season plastering 62 point font claiming to be #1!11on11onee all year long, to say someone from the SEC isn't being objective with his bowl picks... and then say Glen Dorsey was charitably given his Bronko Nagurski Trophy.

;D

QuoteAnd unfortunately, Ohio State isn't your school; it's someone else's school.

Burn.

Bam_Bam

My hate for the SEC has no boundaries...nothing against you though just the colleges...you know how it is.

Actually no, I don't know how it is. Can you explain how you hate an entire conference?

(and I take it you're a Michigan student/grad?)

No but i was born in Michigan and raised a Michigan fan...the way i see it you don't choose your team your team chooses you. As for why i don't like the SEC, there are a number of reasons.

From what I've seen the fans of SEC schools can be some of the most arrogant, ignorant, disrespectful fans i've met. Living in Kentucky i've come to loathe the fans of UK during the basketball season. They're completely blinded by their love for UK and are impossible to have a serious conversation without it turning to "man my team will kill your team you all suck hehehe"...

Also, i'm tired of hearing about how the SEC is miles ahead of any conference in the country. Other than Alabama and Tennesee, the SEC hasn't been the juggernauts in the past that everyone wants to make them out to be. Florida has only just started to rise since the 90's. Their record against big 10 schools since 2002 is only 6-8. The Big Ten consistently beats SEC teams in bowl games, just like last year...and all anyone wants to bring up is 41-14...gimme a break. Also the SEC posted a losing record vs. the Big East this season as well.

The Big Ten also has just as many bowl eligible teams as the SEC does. 10 each. 2 teams from each conference in a BCS game as well...

In summation, i think it's crap that the SEC gets all this hype, because it's just that: hype, when it comes down to it the only reason everyone says that the SEC is such a tough conference where a team can lose any weekend is because ESPN says that every year, and every year some "great team" loses to some crap team and the ESPN says 'oh man the SEC is so damn great'....just bugs the hell out of me.

Also, how is it that LSU loses to TWO unranked teams and still gets a shot at the NC...it's crap.
[url="//www.myspace.com/wearemurals"]www.myspace.com/wearemurals[/url]